A birth injury will often result in physical and emotional damage to the mother or the infant. If the damage arises due to negligence or malpractice, hiring an Atlanta birth injury attorney will be valuable in an effort to seek justice.
When does negligence occur during delivery?
A healthcare provider will be negligent if he or she does not provide the quality standard care the medical professionals should offer. In such a case, medical malpractice will occur and, in this case, birth injuries. Due to negligence, injuries may occur during pregnancy, during delivery or shortly after the infant is born. A physician will be said to be negligent if:
- He/she does not help the parent avoid pregnancies that would result in complications, for example, botched hysterectomy.
- The physician fails to inform the mother of an abnormality with the infant that can lead to complications during birth.
- The doctor fails to diagnose a problem, or the diagnosis is delayed.
Causes of maternal and birth injuries
Mistakes by negligent doctors can cause injuries both to the mother and the infant. While some injuries will heal with time, others are so severe and can lead to lifetime medical problems. Causes of such injuries will include.
- Failure to control and monitor oxygen intake.
- Wrongful use of birth assisting tools.
- Failure to perform an emergency cesarean section.
- Failure to control hemorrhaging.
- Failing to prevent perinatal tearing.
- Inability to diagnose or treat maternal infections.
- Inability to notice and treat fetal distress.
Why hire a birth injury attorney?
Due to negligence or medical malpractice, a birth injury attorney in Atlanta will help you understand your rights as well as gather reliable evidence to prove your case. If you are successful in your lawsuit you could get compensated for;
- Lost job or income due to the injury.
- Any expenses due to the injury.
- Any suffering from the damage.
Birth injuries due to negligence or medical malpractice is a denial of justice. Hiring a birth injury lawyer will ensure you get justice and those responsible accounts for their actions.